Hackney Carriage & Private Hire Licensing

In the UK, Taxis (Hackney Carriages) and Private Hire Vehicles, together with Private Hire Operators and drivers, are licensed by local authorities (councils). The legislation covering Taxi Licensing is the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act (1976) and the Town Police Clauses Act (1847).

Licensing tells the public that:

The Council can add conditions to the licences it issues and take steps to make sure that the conditions of the licence are complied with. Councils work with other local authorities and the Police to detect and prevent unlicensed drivers, taxis and private hire vehicles from operating.

Here in Gedling, our Licensing Team investigates complaints about licensed drivers and operators, and our Environment and Licensing Committee meets regularly to decide upon contentious applications.


What’s the difference between a Hackney Carriage and a Private Hire Vehicle?

The main difference between Taxis (Hackney Carriages) and Private Hire Vehicles is that Taxis can be hailed by customers on the streets and are immediately available for hire, whilst Private Hire Vehicles must be booked in advance through a licensed operator.


Making a complaint about a Hackney Carriage or Private Hire driver, vehicle or operator

If you’d to make a complaint about a driver, vehicle or operator, you can do so by:

Please give as much detail as you can about your complaint, and we’ll pass the information on to our Licensing Team so that they can investigate.


How to Apply

Please click one of the following links for details about the licence(s) you wish to apply for:


Changes to Taxi Licensing

Get in Touch

(0115) 901 3971

Civic Centre
Arnot Hill Park

Full Details & Directions

Back to Top