Taxi Licensing

We’ve introduced an appointment system for taxi driver licence applications and renewals. 

When you collect your application pack or your renewal pack, please make an appointment to come in and submit it.

As you fill in your application or renewal form, please make sure that you read all the guidance notes, and when you come in for your appointment, please make sure that you bring all the required documents with you so that we can process your application without delay. 

If you are renewing your licence, please make an appointment to submit your application as soon as possible after receiving your reminder letter.

Why do taxis and their drivers need licensing?

In the UK, taxis (hackney carriages) and private hire vehicles, together with private hire operators and drivers, are licensed by local authorities (councils).

Licensing tells the public that:

Councils can add conditions to the licenses it issues and take steps to make sure that the conditions of the licence are complied with. Councils work with other local authorities and the police to detect and prevent unlicensed taxis and private hire vehicles from operating.

Here in Gedling, our licensing team investigates complaints about licensed drivers and operators, and our Environment and Licensing Committee meets regularly to decide upon contentious applications.

The legislation covering taxi licensing is the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act (1976) and the Town Police Clauses Act (1847).

What’s the difference between a hackney carriage and a private hire vehicle?

The main difference between taxis (hackney carriages) and private hire vehicles is that taxis can be hailed by customers on the streets and be immediately available for hire, whilst private hire vehicles must be booked in advance through a licensed operator.

Making a complaint about a taxi or private hire vehicle driver, vehicle or operator

If you’d to make a complaint about a taxi driver, vehicle or operator, you can do so by:

Please give as much detail as you can about your complaint, and we’ll pass the information on to our licensing team so that they can investigate.

Taxi driver licenses

Here in Gedling, we issue a combined hackney carriage/private hire driver’s licence. This allows the holder of the licence to drive both hackney carriages and private hire vehicles.

If you’d like to apply for a licence, you’ll need to complete an application form and comply with the necessary tests and checks.

If you have any convictions, cautions or other type of offences to your name, please refer to the Statement of Taxi Driver Licensing Policy for guidance on how we’ll deal with your application. Please be aware that our staff can’t advise you what the council’s decision will be with regard to your application, as each case is decided on its merits.

Vehicle licences

To apply for a vehicle licence please refer to the vehicle testing manual, vehicle specification and age policy before you book your vehicle in for testing. 

To book the vehicle in for testing, please call 0115 901 3971.

Application pack

If you’re looking to get your taxi driver licence for the first time, you can download an application pack from this page, or you can call into the Civic Centre in Arnot Hill Park, Arnold, and pick one up, or you can call us on 0115 901 3901 and we’ll send one out to you. Please note that we can’t send out multiple applications to the same address.

The pack will tell you everything that you need to do to get yourself and your vehicle licensed and on the road.

You’ll also need to have a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check (formerly CRB check). The applications form for this is in the application pack.


For details of current application fees click here.

Get in Touch

(0115) 901 3971

Civic Centre
Arnot Hill Park

Full Details & Directions

Back to Top