Finding a Home

In 2008 we transferred all of our housing stock to Gedling Homes, which is an independent housing association. The Council no longer owns any homes to rent. Gedling Homes is one of a number of housing associations that operate in Gedling. All of their vacant properties (excluding some reserved for transfers etc.) are now advertised on the Homesearch choice based lettings scheme. If you need social housing in Gedling, you must register with Homesearch and place bids for properties that you wish to live in. You can normally only register if you have a need for housing and a local connection to Gedling, although there are some exceptions to this.

If you are thinking about buying your first home, why not try this excellent First Time Buyer's Guide, provided by Which?

If you are homeless, or about to become homeless, please see the information on our Homelessness page, and contact us for advice.


All housing association properties in Gedling are now allocated by a Choice Based Lettings scheme. This scheme is called Homesearch, and is run in partnership with Broxtowe and Rushcliffe Borough Councils, and with the housing associations working in the area.

You can only register with the scheme if you have a housing need and a local connection to Gedling. If you are adequately housed but would like to move, this is not a housing need. There are some exceptions, for instance, you can join the scheme if you live in a social housing property that is too big for you, or if you want to move into sheltered housing.

Housing register changes

In 2013, we adopted a new allocations policy [622kb]. This said that only people who have a need to move home and a local connection to Gedling will qualify to be on the housing register. There are some exceptions to this. For instance, if you are over 50 or disabled, and want to move into sheltered housing, you will still qualify regardless of your housing need or your local connection, because there are more of these properties available.

Gedling Homes have some social housing properties which are available immediately with no need to go through the housing register. You can contact them on 0115 905 1515 or email to find out more.

We will still provide assistance and advice about housing options for anybody who needs it - it is just that not everybody who qualify for social housing.

To qualify for the housing register, you must be able to answer Yes to at least one question from List 1 and one question from List 2.

 What do we regard as a housing need? List 1


Do you have a medical condition or disability that is made worse by your current home?


Do you have a medical condition or disability that means you cannot live in your home, or cannot access parts of it (e. g. cannot get up stairs, cannot access the bathroom)?


Do you have to leave your home due to regeneration, demolition, major repair, fire or flood, or because your home has been assessed as unsafe by the Council?


Is your home overcrowded (i. e. you need more bedrooms than you have)?


Is your social housing property under-occupied (i.e. you have more bedrooms than you need)?


Are you homeless, or are you going to be homeless within the next 8 weeks?


Do you need to move because of harassment, domestic violence or other violence?


Have you succeeded to the tenancy of a property that is not suitable for your needs?


Are you in supported accommodation and ready to move on to your own tenancy?


Are you an approved foster carer who needs to move in order to foster children?


Are you a lodger with children who is sharing facilities (e.g. a kitchen, a bathroom) with other people who are not in your household?


Are you experiencing hardship in your current home? (e. g. cannot afford the rent etc.)


Are you 50 or over and want to move into sheltered accommodation?


Are you disabled, with no children, and want to move into sheltered accommodation?


 What do we regard as a local connection? List 2


Have you lived in Gedling for the last 12 months, or 3 of the last 5 years?


Are you in paid work in Gedling for at least 16 hours per week?


Do you need to move to Gedling to support, or be supported by, a parent, sibling or adult child, who has lived in Gedling for at least the last 5 years?


Have you been accepted as homeless by Gedling Borough Council?


Have you been accepted by Gedling Borough Council for priority re-housing under a “reciprocal arrangement” with another council or social landlord?


Did you used to live in Gedling before being placed in local authority care as a child?


Do you need to move as part of a police witness protection programme?


Did you have a local connection to Gedling (2a, 2b or 2c) before you were placed in temporary accommodation by another council?


Are you serving in the regular Armed Forces, Reserve Forces or Territorial Army, or have you served in those forces within the last 5 years?


Are you 50 or over, with no children, and want to move into sheltered accommodation?


Are you disabled, with no children, and want to move into sheltered accommodation?

How does Homesearch work?

Instead of each council and housing association holding a waiting list, all properties are advertised on a website every week. You can see what is available at any time and, when you register with the scheme, you can express your interest in living in a property. This is called “bidding” for a property. It is not a financial bid – you do not have to pay any money to use Homesearch. The bidding cycle starts every Thursday and finishes the following Wednesday. You can bid for up to three properties every week.

At the end of the bidding cycle, the applicant in the highest priority for housing will normally be offered the chance to become the new tenant. If you are not successful, you can see how many other people bid for that property and where in the shortlist you were placed. This can help you to decide how to bid in future, or whether you should look at other housing options, such as private rental.

You can still use Homesearch if you do not have internet access. You can call us to make an appointment where we will help you to complete the application form, either in person or over the phone. You can see the properties available in a printed newsletter, by visiting your local council office and most libraries, and staff there can help you to use the scheme. You can place bids for properties by using a telephone service, and in person at the council offices, as well as online.

Private rented options

Social housing is allocated by need, so unless you are in very urgent circumstances, it is possible that there may be a very long waiting time before you are successful in being allocated a property through Homesearch. We therefore encourage you to consider  whether you could find a suitable home much faster by renting from a private landlord.

There is a healthy private rented sector in Gedling, and you will find a range of properties available by using local lettings agencies and property search websites. If you are on a low income or not working, you may be able to claim Housing Benefit to help you with the rent. You will find that not all landlords accept tenants claiming Housing Benefit, but many do.

If you are at risk of homelessness, we may be able to help you rent a private property through our Deposit Guarantee Scheme or be able to provide a Discretionary Housing Payment. Please contact our Housing Options Team for more details.

Get in Touch

(0115) 901 3681

Civic Centre
Arnot Hill Park

Full Details & Directions

Useful Links

Useful Gedling Pages

Back to Top