Do I Need Planning Permission?

Do I need planning permission?

‌If you are planning to carry out works to a domestic property you should fill out and return a Enquiry Questionnaire for Domestic Development [247kb].  The Borough Council will provide you with written confirmation of whether Planning Permission and/or Building Regulations approval is/are required

Minor Works

Certain minor works to domestic properties may not require Planning Permission and are classed as ‘permitted development’.  General guidelines as to what is permitted development are available on the Planning Portal website, but as local circumstances and the planning history of your property may have a bearing on what works you can carry out without Planning Permission, you are still recommended to submit a Enquiry Questionnaire for Domestic Development [247kb]..

Most building works require approval under the Building Regulations, so it is likely that you will need to apply to the Borough Council for Building Regulations approval, even if you do not need to make a planning application.


The Government introduced legislation on 1st October 2008, which has put in place a new permitted development regime for householders.  In most cases, this has reduced the need for householders to apply for Planning Permission to extend their homes, although some developments with potential adverse impacts may now require permission.

On the 30th May 2013 the Government introduced the Larger Extension: Neighbour Consultation Scheme, which may enable householders to construct larger extensions to the rear of their properties than the previous permitted development rights enabled. To find out more please read the guidance notes below:

What you need to do

If you are proposing to undertake development submit a Enquiry Questionnaire for Domestic Development [247kb]. to the Council using our form. We will then confirm whether you require planning permission or whether your proposal would fall under the Larger Extension:Neighbour Consultation Scheme. We will also advise you whether building regulation approval is required.

Useful Documents

Flow Chart illustrating the new Permitted Development Process for householder ex [56kb] 

Enquiry Questionnaire for Domestic Development [247kb]

Application Forms of Notification of a Proposed Larger Home Extension

Guidance Notes to help home owners with the completion of the prior notification to notify a local planning authority of the intention to use the permitted development rights introduced on 30th May 2013.

Guidance Notes: Larger Home Extensions: Neighbour Consultation Scheme [57kb]

Notification of completion of development - revised PD regs for householders [92kb] 



Get in Touch

(0115) 901 3971

Civic Centre
Arnot Hill Park

Full Details & Directions

Back to Top