Have your say on plans to abolish Gedling Borough Council and replace it with a ‘super council’. Take part in our consultation

Personal Information Request (Subject Access Request)

All requests must be in writing and include your name and address.  You will also be asked to provide evidence of your identity. If you are requesting a copy of CCTV footage, we may need further information such as a description and/or photograph of yourself or your vehicle.

You may also need to provide us details to identify the information you want from us.  An open ended request for access such as “Give me a copy of all the information you hold on me” will not be sufficient to enable us to locate what you want. It will help us deal with your request more efficiently if you include, the type of information you want, department where it may be held, dates of document, relevant time periods etc.

Frequently Asked Questions

Can someone else make the request on my behalf?

Yes. You can ask a third party, such as your Solicitor or insurance company to make the request for you. We will need to ensure that the third party making the request is entitled to act on your behalf and would expect to see written authority from you.

Will I have to pay for the information?

No, however we may apply a charge when a request is manifestly unfounded, excessive or repetitive.  Details of our charges can be found in our Charging Policy.

When can I expect to receive the information?

We will make every effort to provide you with the information as soon as possible and in any event within one calendar month. The time limit starts to run from when you have confirmed your identity.  We may extend the period of compliance by up to two months where requests are complex or numerous but will advise you as soon as possible if this is the case.

Will I receive all the information I have asked for?

Not necessarily. Sometimes your personal information may contain information about other people. You are only allowed to access information about you and we may withhold or edit information relating to other people.

The Act also contains a number of exemptions which allow us to withhold personal information about you, if providing you with the information could prejudice:

  • The way a crime is detected or prevented;
  • The apprehension or prosecution of offenders; or
  • The assessment or collection of a tax or duty.

What if I am not happy with the way my request has been dealt with?

If you are unhappy about the way your request has been dealt with or wish to object to our decision to refuse to provide you with certain information, you should complain to the Chief Executive.  If you are still not happy, you can complain to the Information Commissioner.