Houses in multiple occupation

To apply for a HMO licence download the application form and return to the Civic centre, Arnot Hill Park, Gedling, NG5  6LU you can also pay the licence fee of £335 in person with a debit cart or with a cheque.

Apply 〉

What is a HMO?

A House in Multiple Occupation (HMO) is defined as whole or part of a building, such as a flat or apartment, that is:

  • Occupied by more than one household and where more than one household shares or lacks an amenity such as bathroom, toilet or cooking facilities
  • A converted building occupied by more than one household, but where the building contains not entirely self-contained flats
  • Converted, self-contained flats that do not meet the 1991 Building Regulation as a minimum standard and where at least one-third of the flats are occupied under short tenancies. 

When considering HMO regulations, households are defined as families (including single people, couples and same sex couples) and any other relationships, such as fostering, carers and domestic staff.


HMO’s are licenced to make sure that

  • Landlords or managers employed on their behalf are fit and proper people to manage the property
  • Each HMO is suitable for occupation by the number of people, as specified by the building’s licence
  • Standards of the HMO’s management meet licensing requirements, are adequate and are upheld
  • High risk HMOs are identified and targeted for future improvement

 When is a license required?

You’ll need a license when the building: 

  • Is defined as a HMO
  • Is three-storeys high or more, including basements and attics
  • Is occupied by five or more people
  • Has some occupants sharing an amenity, such as kitchen or bathroom

Find out more about HMO licensing.