The Pride of Gedling Awards 2021 nominations are now open. It’s time for you to nominate a volunteer, young person, community group or business who you think deserves recognition for what they do. Find our more and make a nomination at 

Covid-19 community testing

What is community testing?

Around one in three people with Covid-19 (coronavirus) do not have symptoms. Free rapid testing (also known as lateral flow testing) is available to people that do not have any Covid-19 symptoms. This will help find cases of coronavirus in communities, so people can isolate, break the chains of transmission and reduce the spread of the virus.

Where to get lateral flow tests

Visit the NHS website to find a local testing option near you, including community testing sites and pharmacies that you can collect home testing kits from. You can also order kits online or by calling 119.

  • Test centres

You can get a test at a community testing site. There is no need to book, just turn up and register onsite. A mobile testing unit visits the Home Brewery Building car park, Sir John Robinson Way, Arnold on Tuesdays from 10am - 4pm. 

Please wear a face covering in the testing centre and do not bring any bags or other items that aren't essential. Under 16s must be accompanied by an adult and children under the age of 12 will need an adult to help with carrying out the swab test.

If you have a smartphone, you can leave the centre after your test and the result will be texted to you, usually within 30 minutes. If you don't have a smartphone you'll be asked to stay at the site until your result comes through, usually within 30 minutes.

If you have any Covid-19 symptoms or have tested positive for COVID-19 in the last 90 days, please do not visit a community testing centre.

  • Home tests

You can pick up home testing kits from some pharmacies and from community testing sites. Find out where you can pick up the kits from on the NHS Test Site Finder.

You can also order test kits to be delivered to your home the test kit order page.

If testing at home, you will need to register the results online by going to the Report a Covid-19 test result website or by calling 119. You should self-isolate if the result is positive and book a PCR test to confirm the result.

What does the test involve?

The rapid lateral flow test involves taking a swab from your nose and throat. 

Your test result

If your result is negative, it means COVID-19 was not detected on the day. If you and your household do not have any symptoms of coronavirus you can continue to carry on your usual daily activities. A negative test is not a guarantee and you should continue to follow prevention measures including regular hand washing, social distancing and using face coverings in enclosed spaces.

If your result is positive you and your household will need to begin isolating for 10 days immediately. You will be contacted by NHS Test and Trace.

How often should I get a tested?

You should get tested twice a week (3-4 days apart).

Tests for people with symptoms

Anyone with any Covid-19 symptoms – a high temperature, a new, continuous cough, or a loss or change to sense of smell or taste – should NOT go to a community test centre. Instead please book a test at or by calling 119.

Rapid lateral flow tests for households and bubbles of school pupils and staff

Home testing kits are available for anyone who is over the age of 18 who lives in the same home as a primary school, secondary school or college age student. 

You can get twice-weekly tests:

Find out more about tests for households with school/college age children by visiting: 

If anyone in the household tests positive or gets coronavirus symptoms, they should tell the school and:

Parents and carers of children who have been advised to self-isolate by their education setting or by NHS Test and Trace are now able to apply for a Test and Trace Support Payment or discretionary payment of £500, if they meet the eligibility criteria. Find out more on the support for residents page.

Workforce testing for businesses

The deadline for registering to order free rapid lateral flow tests was 12 April 2021. If you registered your business by then, you can order free rapid lateral flow tests until 30 June 2021. Find out more about workplace testing at the website. For more information on workplace testing email If you didn't register for workplace tests, please encourage your workforce to get regular free tests from a local testing site or with a home kit (see above). 

What to do with your result

It is really important that you report results online to NHS Test and Trace, or over the phone by calling 119.

If anyone in your household tests positive or gets coronavirus symptoms, you should inform your school/employer:

A negative result means the test did not find signs of coronavirus. But this does not guarantee people do not have coronavirus, so they should keep following all coronavirus advice including:

  • regular handwashing
  • social distancing
  • wearing a face covering where recommended.

Help and support if you test positive

If you or a member of your household tests positive then you will need to self-isolate for 10 days. You will be contacted by NHS Test and Trace.

If you are staying at home due to COVID-19 and need food, try to book a delivery from a supermarket or local business or ask family, friends or neighbours to deliver supplies to your door.

NHS Volunteer Responders can help with shopping and medicines delivery, as well as regular, friendly phone calls, and transport to and from health appointments. Check if you are eligible by visiting the NHS Volunteer Responder website (opens in new window) and call 0808 196 3646 between 8am and 8pm to arrange support.

If you live in Gedling and don’t have anyone who can help you get food, please call us on 0115 901 3901 or visit our Giving for Gedling page for support. 

If you need any other support (not food) due to COVID-19, please contact Nottinghamshire County Council on 0300 500 8080 during office hours. You can also find information on the county council's website (opens in new window). If you require urgent assistance outside of office hours, please phone the Police on 101.

You may be eligible for financial support through the test and trace support payment and through business grants. You can find out more at