Join us in celebrating the Queen's Platinum Jubilee 

Grants for warmer homes

Grants for warmer homes

Energy Efficiency Grants ECO 3

Energy companies are obliged under the Government’s ‘Energy Company Obligation’ (ECO) to provide energy saving measures to homes, depending on what type of home you live (the fabric of the walls), what type of benefits you may have, or which area you live.

ECO is a requirement placed upon energy companies to help improve the domestic energy performance of the homes of the vulnerable. It is a government-backed scheme that helps eligible homes receives efficiency improvements to reduce fuel bills and keep homes healthy and warm.

We can help qualifying householders access funding for a replacement boiler, home insulation or first time central heating through the government’s ECO Flex.

What are the qualifying criteria?

The ECO qualifying criteria depends on the benefits you receive, household income, and number of occupants and the property's current level of efficiency.

Homeowners and private tenants can apply. We cannot assist housing association tenants.

What could we help with?

  • loft insulation
  • cavity wall insulation
  • gas boiler replacements
  • oil boiler replacements
  • external wall insulation
  • first time central heating

How do I apply?

To enquire about the ECO - Help to Heat scheme, please either:

ECO Flex

ECO Flex is where a council can set criteria to assist those who would fall outside the normal ECO qualifying criteria.

Eligibility is either income based dependent on household size, or health based where those living with long term health conditions qualify. If you contact us we will check if you are eligible through ECO or ECO Flex.

Each applicant is individually assessed. Please see the following document for further details:

ECO Flex Statement of intent can be found ECO (PDF) and for those wishing to apply for first time central heating the criteria in set out in the second statement of intent and can be found Warm Homes Hub (PDF)

Help from your energy supplier: the Affordable Warmth Obligation

You might be able to get help for energy-saving improvements to your home if you’re on certain benefits and own or privately rent your home.

You may get all or part of the cost of:

  • insulation work, eg to your loft or cavity walls
  • replacing or repairing your boiler – or other upgrades to your heating

For further information, contact the company you pay your energy bills to or please visit the

Energy Saving Trust website.