Find out what help is available with the cost of living on our Support in Gedling page

Warm homes on prescription

The scheme aims to help low income households with cold-sensitive long-term health conditions to achieve affordable warmth.

Who can apply for Housing Assistance?

If you or someone you live with suffers from one of the below medical conditions 

  • Atrial fibrillation; heart flutter (AF)
  • Angina / Coronary heart disease (CHD)
  • Heart failure
  • High blood pressure (hypertension)
  • Peripheral arterial disease (PAD) – swollen arteries in legs
  • A transient ischaemic attack (TIA) or "mini stroke"
  • Asthma
  • Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
  • Rheumatoid arthritis
  • Osteoporosis/ brittle bones
  • Diabetes
  • Cancer

If you're over 18 and earn less than £16,000 per year and have less than £16,000 in savings, or if the applicant is aged 0-16 years old or under 20 and in full time education and suffering with one of the above medical conditions they automatically qualify for the scheme.

You must also be

a)         The owner of the property that the work is being carried out on or

b)         The tenant or licensee (alone or jointly) of a privately rented property. 

Assistance can only be considered for work which are necessary to improve your living conditions or a person living with you. The scheme can provide help with heating or energy efficiency improvements such as:

  • Boiler repairs/replacement (please note this is not an emergency service)
  • New heating controls
  • Insulation
  • Draught-proofing

The grant ‘Warm Homes on Prescription’ is not a loan and you will not need to pay the money back.

More information

Read our Private Sector Housing Grants and Assistance Policy for further details on how the grant is administered


Local resident Mr Williamson proudly had a new Combi boiler fitted with the help of a grant from Warm Homes on Prescription, find out what he had to say.

Register and see if you qualify

To enable the council to progress your referral please ensure you are able to supply the following information

  • A doctors letter confirming your medical condition from the list above. Other supporting medical documentation can also be accepted.
  • Bank statements detailing the last 3 months of savings and income for the household.
  • Evidence of any other income you are in receipt of.
  • Written permission from the landlord if a private rented home.  

Start 〉