Have your say on the services we prioritise and how we spend our budget

Environmental information regulations

These Regulations give a general right for you to access to the environmental information held by us. They also impose an obligation on us to proactively publish environmental information we hold. 

Start „ÄČ

What is Environmental Information?

It includes information relating to:

  • The state of the elements of the environment, such as air, water, soil, land, fauna (including human beings)
  • Emissions and discharges, noise, energy, radiation, waste and other such substances
  • Measures and activities such as policies, plans, and agreements affecting or likely to affect the state of the elements of the environment
  • Reports, cost-benefit and economic analyses
  • The state of human health and safety, contamination of the food chain
  • Cultural sites and built structures (to the extent they may be affected by the state of the elements of the environment)

What does this include?

 It depends on the information being requested, but could include information relating to:

  • Planning matters
  • Land Use
  • Waste
  • Food Hygiene
  • Housing Development Plans
  • Pollution
  • Noise
  • Animals
  • The state of buildings

When can I expect to receive the information?

We'll try our best to get the information to you as soon as possible and always aim to get it to you within 20 working days. Sometimes it may take longer to get the information depending on what you request but We'll always let you know.

Will I receive all the information I have asked for?

Not necessarily. We won't deal with your request if we consider it to be too general or excessive. There may also be a charge to providing this information, you can read more about it in our Charging Policy.

The Regulations also contain a number of exceptions to protect information that should not be released into the public domain. We will not release information where one of the exceptions applies and we consider it to be in the public interest to withhold the information.

What if I am not happy with the way my request has been dealt with?

If you are unhappy about the way your request has been dealt with or wish to object to our decision to refuse to provide you with certain information, you should complain in writing to the Chief Executive.

If you are still not happy, you can complain to the Information Commissioner.