Rediscover your borough this Christmas

Registering your food business

Registration applies to most types of food business, including catering businesses run from home and mobile or temporary premises, such as stalls and vans. If you have more than one premises, you will need to register all of them.

It is a legal requirement when starting up or taking over ownership of a food business to register with the Food Team at your local authority at least 28 days before operating. There is no charge for registration.

If you’re setting up a new business you should also check that you don’t need planning permission.

Register your business online

Register 〉

To request a form to be posted to you, please contact the Food Safety Team on 0115 901 3974

Does my business require approval?

Your food business may require approval if you intend to use "unprocessed products of animal origin" e.g. fresh meat, raw minced meat, raw milk, eggs to produce any, or a combination of the following:

  • Minced meat
  • Meat preparations
  • Mechanically separated meat
  • Meat products
  • Raw milk (other than raw cows' milk)
  • Dairy products
  • Eggs (not primary production)
  • Egg products
  • Certain cold stores
  • Certain wholesale markets

If you’re thinking of setting up an approved food premises talk to us to discuss the proposals. We’ll be able to help you with the approval application process and discuss relevant technical food (and health and safety) aspects with you. You can contact us at or 0115 901 3974


Mobile Food Businesses

If you are operating a mobile food business the vehicle must be registered with the Council where it is stored overnight. If you are operating a mobile food business you should contact the Highways Department at Nottingham County Council via their website ,who will advise on which streets are prohibited.