The Winding House
Bestwood was once a sprawling industrial site. The Winding Engine House is the last remaining part of a vanished colliery and a relic of Victorian industrial engineering.
- Open Saturdays, 9.30am to 12.30pm
- Free admission and car parking
- Car parks open 8am - 4pm
On a trip to Bestwood Winding Engine House
Get a flavour of life as a miner and experience the sheer size and power of the winding engine.
- Self-guided: you are welcome to look around the exhibits and a recorded audio commentary is available
- Guided: led by members of the Winding Engine House volunteers on Saturdays and Bank Holidays, no booking required.
- Virtual: take a virtual look around the engine house
Bestwood Winding Engine House has been inspected and designated a Place of Interest by VisitEngland.
The Dynamo House Café
Open: Saturdays, 9.30am – 12.30pm and on Bank Holidays, serving hot drinks and home-made cakes. Run by volunteers from the Friends of Bestwood Country Park and all profits benefit the park. There are also picnic tables throughout park.
Access for all
- Bestwood is a hilly site with steep gradients. Some paths are wheelchair accessible; please contact our rangers for further information
- the Dynamo House and Winding Engine House are fully accessible
- accessible toilet with baby-changing facilities in the Dynamo House and other toilets throughout the park.