Bestwood Winding Engine House
Bestwood was once a sprawling industrial site. The Winding Engine House is the last remaining part of a vanished colliery and a relic of Victorian industrial engineering.
- Open Saturdays, 10am - 12pm *Currently closed due to Covid-19 restrictions*
- Free admission and car parking
- Car parks open 8am - 4pm
Get a flavour of life as a miner and experience the sheer size and power of the winding engine.
- Self-guided: you are welcome to look around the exhibits and a recorded audio commentary is available
- Guided: led by members of the Winding Engine House volunteers on Saturdays and Bank Holidays, no booking required.
- Virtual: take a virtual look around the engine house
The restoration of The Winding Engine House was helped by funding from The Heritage Lottery Fund and the Greater Nottingham Partnership.
Bestwood Winding Engine House has been inspected and designated a Place of Interest by VisitEngland.
The Dynamo House Café (currently closed due to Covid-19 restrictions)
Open: Saturdays, 10am – 1pm and on Bank Holidays, serving hot drinks and home-made cakes. Run by volunteers from the Friends of Bestwood Country Park and the Bestwood Village WI and all profits benefit the park. There are also picnic tables throughout park.
- Bestwood is a hilly site with steep gradients. Some paths are wheelchair accessible; please contact our rangers for further information
- the Dynamo House and Winding Engine House are fully accessible
- accessible toilet with baby-changing facilities in the Dynamo House and other toilets throughout the park.