What is building control?

It's a service we provide to make sure health and safety standards apply to building work, energy saving provisions are achieved and premises are fully accessible for use, meeting national building regulations. 

What is Building Work?

Building work is

  • The erection or extension of a building
  • The installation or extension of a service or fitting which is controlled under the regulations
  • Alterations that will temporarily or permanently affect ongoing compliance of the building, service or fitting withrequirements relating to structure, fire, or access to and use of building
  • Insulating a cavity wall
  • Underpinning the foundations of a building
  • Work affecting thermal elements, energy status or energy performance of a building 

Do I Need Building Regulation Approval?

There are many kinds of alterations and additions to houses that might require building regulation approval.  Use the interactive house on the Planning Portal website for further information on Planning permission and Building Regulation requirements. 

You can also complete the online questionnaire or contact us at buildingcontrol@gedling.gov.uk or 0115 901 3740 for more information.