Apply or alter a discount
Single Person Discount
The normal Council Tax charge for a property is made on the basis that there are at least two adults (people aged 18 or over) living in the property.
Where there is only one adult we give a 'Single Person Discount' of 25%.
Full time students and student nurses are exempt from paying Council Tax if they are on full time courses which
- Lasts for at least one academic year
- Requires attendance for periods of at least 24 weeks
- Involves at least 21 hours per week of study, tuition, work experience or a combination of such periods during term time.
A person counts as a student nurse if studying for his/her first inclusion on the Nursing Register.
Certain people can be 'disregarded' for Council Tax purposes. This means we do not count them when we are working out how many adults live in the property.
The following list shows the people that can be disregarded. If highlighted, please click to apply for that discount, for all others please :
- Apprentices and Youth Training Trainees - Apply for a Council Tax reduction
- People for whom Child Benefit is payable and school leavers under 20
- Prisoners and other people held in detention
- Patients living in a hospital or in a nursing home
- People providing or receiving care elsewhere
- Certain care workers and people providing care in the home
- Members of recognised religious communities
- Foreign diplomats
Apply for a Discount
Certain people can receive a discount depending on their situation. Below is a list of some of the discounts available, if highlighted you can apply online.
- Disability relief – Apply for a Council Tax reduction
- Empty Properties
- Live in carer - Apply for a Council Tax Reduction
- Low income – Apply for Council Tax reduction
- Religious communities
- School and college leavers - Apply for a Council Tax reduction
- Severely mentally impaired - Apply for a Council Tax reduction
If you need more information about discounts and exemptions then email email@example.com