Swimming lesson terms and conditions
The terms and conditions for our swimming lessons can be found below, simply select each heading for further information. Should you require paper copies of any of our terms and conditions, please ask at reception at any of our leisure centres.
Swim Stars agreement
1. This agreement is between the Customer (You) and Gedling Borough Council (Us/We)
2. For general Leisure Card terms and conditions please see Gedling Leisure Card application form available from reception and online at www.gedling.gov.uk/leisure.
3. We reserve the right to amend terms, conditions and policies. Changes can be found online.
4. Completion and signature of this form will be held to constitute acceptance of these conditions including the requirement of a photograph.
5. Taking images of children within the facility is strictly prohibited and no cameras, video equipment or mobile phones are permitted on poolside, in the viewing areas or changing rooms.
6. All medical conditions/disabilities must be disclosed on this form (these will not preclude the child from being accepted for lessons but will enable the Instructor to make any necessary arrangements - these will be discussed with you)
7. Class numbers are limited and are determined by Us to ensure optimum teaching environment and health and safety of all pupils.
8. We reserve the right to allocate children to a class most suited to their ability.
9. We reserve the right to use relief instructors without notice. We will keep this to a minimum but is sometimes unavoidable.
10. Each pupil must register with the instructor at the start of the lesson; lessons will last for 25 minutes.
11. All pupils must wear appropriate clothing (ie fitted bathing costume or trunks). Long hair must be tied back and no jewellery must be worn (other than stud earrings). We reserve the right to refuse to allow a pupil participate in a lesson (without any refund) if they do not comply.
12. All under 8s must have a responsible adult in the building at all times.
13. Your child will be continually assessed and will be able to move up to the next class when they have met the required criteria.
14. By agreeing to these Terms and Conditions you understand that a pupil may only be moved either when there is a space, or at the discretion of Gedling Swim Stars coordinator or General Manager. The decision of the General Manager is final.
15. Assessments will not be made weekly. HomePortal does not guarantee feedback on every session.
16. Our teachers may need to provide support to your child during the lesson to ensure water confidence and safety. All of our teachers are qualified by Swim England and follow the latest guidance on child safeguarding via the Wavepower child safeguarding policy document produced by Swim England. Should anyone have any concerns around child safeguarding, please talk to our site Duty Manager as soon as possible. Swimline operated by Swim England, and NSPCC Child Protection Helpline are both available, including to children and young people, who believe that the welfare of a child is at risk. You can call Swimline on 0808 100 4001 or you can call the NSPCC Child Protection Helpline direct on 0808 800 5000. The helpline is open for 24 hours each day and calls are free of charge from a landline.
17. The £10 joining fee is non-refundable and is due at the start of the swimming lesson membership. There is a £5 movement fee for learners moving between the same stage at the same site within the swim school programme.
Direct Debit payments
1. If you pay by direct debit your membership is for each month that payment is made. If You fail to maintain your payments in accordance with this agreement, We reserve the right to cancel or suspend your membership, (which includes the individuals name being removed from the swim register) and take any action available to Us to recover any outstanding amounts.
2. You will have a payment date of the 5th of each month and the first month’s payment is due at the start of your membership and is non-refundable.
3. If you wish to cancel or suspend your membership we require 10 working days’ notice. Please notify your bank (if cancelling) Us by filling out our cancellation/suspension forms online. Changes to memberships - Gedling Leisure
4. Direct debits are based on 46 lessons a year. We will aim to deliver 50 lessons. We will try our upmost not to cancel a lesson, however if We have to due to the pool being unusable, the lesson will not be refunded.
5. Payment by direct debit entitles the individual to unlimited public swim at Arnold, Calverton and Carlton Forum leisure centres. Please note if your child is under 8 years old they will need to be accompanied by a paying adult and they must enter the pool with them as part of our admission policy.
Block booking private swimming lessons
*Includes school holidays and crash courses
1. You can suspend your private lessons if your child is signed off by a doctor as unable to swim and your credits will be frozen and can be rolled over. Please be aware that depending on the length of the suspension we will be able to sell the space for the lessons to another customer if you can let us know when the learner is able to return so we can arrange for the space to become available or another date and time for when you are returning. For prolonged absence there may be an instance where the pool programme changes and we are unable to provide the space you had before the absence, in this case we will look to accommodate you within a different slot.
2. No refunds for bank holidays – your slot has been booked for a set day and time and if this falls on a bank holiday unfortunately we will not be able to issue a refund.
3. If there is a pool closure unfortunately we will not be able to issue a refund for the session however we can roll your credit over to the following week.
4. If you are on holiday or are missing the lesson for any other reason other than a child illness signed off by a doctor then we are unable to issue a refund.
Anti-social behaviour in swimming lessons
Process for dealing with anti-social behaviour within swimming lessons
We operate the below system to ensure all our safe within our lessons:
Stage 1 – Offense leading to removal from a lesson
This can include bad language, aggressive behaviour, failure to listen to instructions on multiple occasions, physical violence can all result in a learner being removed from a lesson.
Action: Removal from the lesson and a letter to parent/guardian/carer. Phone call to discuss and review the Disability Care Plan if they are on Disability Swim Stars or phone call to discuss why do we think it happened and if there is anything different that we can do moving forwards.
Stage 2 – Repeat offense
If another offense is committed by the learner and they are again removed from lesson.
Action: Removed from the lesson, letter and phone call to parent/guardian/carer informing them they are on the last stage before they are removed and if they are on the Disability Swim Stars, another review of the Care Plan.
Stage 3 – Final removal from lesson
If there is a third offense and these have happened within 6 months of each other then we will remove the learner from the lesson and inform the parent/guardian that they will no longer attend lessons with usunless they can prove there has been an improvement of behaviour.
Action: Removed from the lesson, Direct Debit cancelled and letter and phone call to parents. The Care
Plan is stored on file for 12 months after the leaner leaves the lessons.
Stage 4 – Improved behaviour
If the parent/guardian has noted that there is improved behaviour we can set up a meeting before a return to lessons. We would then invite them in to the lesson on a trial. If the behaviour has improved we can revert back to them being on the lessons. If not then we can only allow them back once they display acceptable behaviour. This will only be subject to availability as the vacant space can be given to another learner awaiting lessons.
Action: Either added back to lessons or not allowed back until behaviour has improved. If they have come back to lessons then they go back to Stage 1 if an incident occurs in the following lesson.
The home portal is an online system that improves communication with parents regarding their child’s progress in swimming lessons.
The portal is generally updated after each lessons and shows parents how their child is progressing, and what skills require improvement.
Other benefits to the home portal include the ability to:
- Make a payment online for future lessons
- Make amendments to you or your child’s details e.g. medical issues, contact details
- Move your child to the next class (when they have passed the class requirements)
Enrolling on the home portal is easy. Simply provide us with your email address and we will email you a registration code that you will be asked to validate against your child’s DOB and postcode. In addition to the benefits of using the home portal, we will also be able to email you when your child is ready to move up a class, and when they can buy badges and certificates.